Vincent Tan Investigative journalist

Vincent Tan
  • Who are you and what do you do?

I’m a journalist by profession, and as for what I do? I go out and look for interesting stories to tell the public, especially those with an investigative or environmental bent.

• What makes you get up in the morning?

Well, for starters, this job pays my bills (haha). But the fact that I don’t do the same story two days in a row, and that I’m always learning or finding out something new to inform the public on, gives me purpose and motivation to get out of bed each workday. And sometimes even when I’m on holiday.

• What keeps you up at night?

To be honest, the thought that I might have written or erred in my stories I sent to the editor keeps me up, or jolts me awake the most. Dreams and aspirations such as pursuing my own stories with unfettered freedom and being struck with a story idea at the oddest hour also wake me up in the middle of sleep at times.

• The one thing you regret the most.

Not taking enough time out for the people I cared.

• What is the one thing you’ve learned and want to pass on to the next generation?

Probably my “nose” for news, or at least a good new sense on what makes a good story (and what doesn’t).

• What is the one thing that we should have asked, but we didn’t, and what’s the answer?

Would you like to go out for a cup of coffee? The answer might more often than not, be no though (bwahahahaha).

Posted on Tuesday, 02 January 2018