Edlyn Khoo Marketing Professional

Edlyn Khoo
  • Who are you and what do you do?

Umm, the first question seems to be the hardest one of all! I am a dreamer, a romantic and an idealist who believes that people are inherently good. Words, music, autumn leaves and antiquity (old buildings, artifacts, places of history) are what gives me the fuzzies.

As to what I do… by profession, I’m a marketing professional. In other words, I try to make people buy stuff by helping them see why they need it. I also freelance as a copywriter, and I sing in a choir too.

• What makes you get up in the morning?

What makes me get up in the morning on a typical day, is the thought that if I “snooze” my alarm one more time, I will oversleep and be late for work. Hahaha…. but what makes me really want to get up, is if I’m excited about something that day. Travel plans, a big event at work, choir production week, dinner with friends…

I guess that’s what makes me get up every day–always having something to look forward to.

• What keeps you up at night?

When I start thinking about dreams and possibilities, and how I can achieve them. It’s a literal brainstorm. And once the thoughts start swirling around in my head, I become excited and it’s hard to sleep.

• The one thing you regret the most.

I have a few. One of my earliest “adult” regrets is from my time at university in Auckland. Someone from Microsoft gave a talk to us Marketing students about I can’t remember what. I wanted to ask him if there were any internship positions available but I was too shy. And before I knew it, he had left and the chance had gone.

This taught me that sometimes you only have one chance. So, ask that question, eat that cake, buy that souvenir, say hello!

• What is the one thing you’ve learned and want to pass on to the next generation?

Whoops I’ve already shared one in the previous question, so here’s an extra one:

Things do happen for a reason. Even if they are the worst things that could happen, there is probably a lesson or reason behind it. If you look hard enough, you will find it. Even the smallest thing counts.

I find that this mindset helps to make difficult situations more bearable and also makes us more grateful.

• What is the one thing that we should have asked, but we didn’t, and what’s the answer?

If you could have “behind the scenes” access to anywhere in the world, where would you want to go? I would like to go behind the scenes of the top museums in the world to see how they restore and care for artifacts, to see how they catalogue and keep artifacts that are not on display, and to ask about the stories that are not printed in the exhibit descriptions. That would be totally awesome!

Posted on Tuesday, 16 January 2018