Andrew Cua Founder, Tralulu

Andrew Cua
  • Who are you and what do you do?

I’m Andrew and I’m a Cultural Entrepreneur. I run a humble small team called Tralulu that aims to help people travel like a local. Together, we help travellers book neighbourhood local experiences.

• What makes you get up in the morning?

The social problems in the tourism and cultural sector bother me a lot especially that it’s a sector less talked about for its problems. Many doesn’t know that local guides and heritage workers are extremely underpaid and left behind so I keep them in mind daily seeking for ways to empower them in reaching their goals of travellers being able to travel authentically while they become financially sustainable as well.

Beyond this, I also have a burden for global education and wealth decentralisation where I explore technology-based solutions.

• What keeps you up at night?

“What is my role in the greater scheme of things?” This is a question I started asking after humbly realising that I cannot change the world on my own. I can only do so much - yet enough to leave a dent. I’m curious about our purposes and placements in the world where we can best benefit society.

• The one thing you regret the most.

I regret carrying the burden of the world too much at the expense of my health. I learned to stop thinking that I’m the superhero who will change the world - but acknowledge I can do a lot in a longer period of time. I regretted not sleeping and resting enough resulting to irreversible health consequences.

It’s good to keep thing of the welfare of others, but good to remember that we can only give what we have. If we’re not healthy enough, we’ll burn ourselves out even before taking a jab at the problem.

• What is the one thing you’ve learned and want to pass on to the next generation?

Balance idealism with realism. Too much of one will be dangerous. Be and stay idealistic for the long haul but be practical with self-survival on the short haul.

Sometimes, we all think long term, but the short terms goal, when not set, can hinder us from going far. Life, as they say, is a long race to an unknown end, not a spring to the finish line. Keep the goal in mind but stay realistic and grounded to the current possibilities.

• What is the one thing that we should have asked, but we didn’t, and what’s the answer?

What is your constant in life? My constant is my faith. I believe that we are perfectly placed by God to willingly fulfil our purposes in life. There is no such thing as accidents or pure coincidence for me. I love Math enough to know certain things are beyond probabilities. I have experienced getting through hurdles of life and death by pure faith.

Posted on Thursday, 18 January 2018