Alvin Chan Puppet Soldier

Alvin Chan
  • Who are you and what do you do?

I handle regulatory work which deals with licensing, product registration and maintenance, put my performing chops to use in a show choir and work with my hands on paper crafts as a hobby.

• What makes you get up in the morning?

The realisation that there’s always something to be done, along with the knowledge that not everything can follow your own timetable.

• What keeps you up at night?

I’m not a morning person, and I can get rather one-tracked and focus on a project or activity–so I’m more likely to stay up finishing said project as much as possible before I shut down, because I dislike coming back to a half-completed task that’s been put aside for a while, because I’ll have to spend more time setting things up again then getting into the right frame of mind and going through a refresher on the status of things.

Not to mention no one disturbs you at night.

• The one thing you regret the most.

As it is, joining the Joint Management Body for my property, because I haven’t been able to commit more time and effort to it, and it feels like I waste a seat there and part of my time, too.

• What is the one thing you’ve learned and want to pass on to the next generation?

Not everything has to be done perfect - the thought that a task has to be complete and correct before it is considered done can be an obstacle to actually beginning the task.

• What is the one thing that we should have asked, but we didn’t, and what’s the answer?

What are you looking forward to seeing in the future?

For self-driving cars. Better yet if self-driving cars can communicate with other self-driving cars. Then hopefully there will be lesser traffic snarls!

Posted on Thursday, 15 February 2018