Rachael Ma Volunteer

Rachael Ma
  • Who are you and what do you do?

I’m Rachael and I was previously a management consultant for 6 years, however I left that line of work to be involved in Christian missions work in Mozambique, Africa.

• What makes you get up in the morning?

I think it’s a pretty exciting opportunity to be able to wake up each morning and know that you’re not living just for yourself, but you’re able to pour and invest into other people’s lives and see change. Sometimes it may not be big or noticeable act but it does make a difference to them.

• What keeps you up at night?

The pressures of work and stress from bosses used to sometimes keep me up at night, but since leaving the corporate world I don’t think there are many things that can disrupt my sleep besides the occasional relationship issues, fight with a friend or perhaps a family member.

• The one thing you regret the most.

I don’t really like to dwell on regrets much because the past is gone, but if I had to pick then perhaps it would’ve been to just take more time to travel around during my summers in college. In the ambition to pad my resume before applying for jobs I got an internship for 23 of my summers, which could probably have been better spent traveling and exploring around the US :)

• What is the one thing you’ve learned and want to pass on to the next generation?

Being in Africa I’m slowly learning what it means to love others in need and to value every member of society, regardless of socioeconomic standing. Being amongst the poor in different nations I’ve seen that there’s a lot we can learn from them and I’d want my kids and those in the next generation to be ones who will learn to love and value everyone around them.

• What is the one thing that we should have asked, but we didn’t, and what’s the answer?

“With your life lived, what would you want to be known for / your tombstone to read?” I would want mine to include the fact that I was a loving mother and someone that did make a positive impact to the people that I interacted with over my seasons of life.

Posted on Thursday, 05 April 2018