Zhen Yao Yin Works at a bank

Zhen Yao Yin
  • Who are you and what do you do?

My name is Zhen, and I work in a bank to earn money to pay for my hobbies, which mostly involve making travel vlogs and other videos which I put up on youtube.com/zhenyaoyin (shameless plug).

• What makes you get up in the morning?

Creating things that make people stop and think to themselves, “This is pretty cool!” I always try to sneak in my own sense of style and humour into my work, much to my colleagues’ chagrin.

• What keeps you up at night?

How to some day turn my ‘second job’ into my ‘real job’. Until then, I don’t mind climbing the corporate ladder as that helps pay for my trips to far-off places.

I would also like to do something to help solve the problem of food wastage. Isn’t it a bit silly that so much perfectly good food gets thrown away while there are people still starving?

• The one thing you regret the most.

Not going on a work-and-travel/working holiday programme to the US or any other country after graduating. Now I’ll never know what it’s like to work at a theme park!.

• What is the one thing you’ve learned and want to pass on to the next generation?

Instead of comparing yourself to others, instead ask yourself: “Would ‘me’ from 5/10/15 years ago be proud of the person I am today?” It is always a good idea to take a step back and reflect on the things that you have achieved. And if the answer is a ‘no’, what can you do to turn that into a ‘yes’?

• What is the one thing that we should have asked, but we didn’t, and what’s the answer?

If money weren’t an issue and you could do anything you want for a living, what would that be? It’s a toss up between being a host for a travel show or doing musical theatre. However, my rational mind thought better of it so I pursued a stable, corporate job instead.

Posted on Thursday, 11 January 2018